By Tyne-Talk
July 5 2008
At no point this weekend has Newcastle United striker Obafemi Martins claimed he is unhappy at the club and wants a move to Arsenal as implied by some leading sources. He has infact suggested it would be difficult to say no, but then wouldn't it be the case for most players? He also made it clear that he respects the fact he is a Newcastle United player is contracted to the club.
Martins has repeatedly been linked with a move away from the North East since showing his ability to cope and play good football in the Premier League. Arsenal have been the main source of interest but the speculation has never gone further than media hype.
Now Martins has spoken about the situation and fuel has been added to the fire.
Martins who is currently in Nigeria on a break is flattered to have been linked to Arsenal and said:
"Arsenal is a big club that everyone wants to play for, I am thrilled and it will be nice to play for such a team.
But, now that I am a Newcastle player, there is nothing much to say. If it is true, both clubs would have to reach an agreement.
Is Arsenal a good club? Yes. Would I love to play there? Probably, if Newcastle are ready to listen to them. But if Newcastle says no then it'll be no.
Because I still have a contract, I expect the club to speak to me when I get back. I am not saying I want to go but, if anything happens, that's football."
Martins who scored 10 goals for Newcastle last season apparently has a £13million clause in his contract which could easily be met by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. However, Oba has in the past praised both Kevin Keegan, his team-mates and the fans and has complemented the club he has previously said he enjoys playing at. Also, there appears to have been no approach by Arsenal and so for the time being we can assume Oba is staying put.
