Latest News:

Hilton Park

By Matt Lawton
May 27 2003

Hilton Park was built in 1947 and is named after former Leigh chairman Jim Hilton. However, it was controversially renamed "The Coliseum at Hilton Park" early in 2003, much to the dismay of many traditionalists who were saddened to see yet another of rugby league's famous old grounds' name because of a marketing gimmick.

The record attendance at Hilton Park is 31,224 against St Helens in March 1953, with the highest attendance in recent years being the lucky 9,760 who managed to get a ticket for the Challenge Cup Quarter Final against local rivals Wigan last season.

The capacity is around the 10,000 mark with close to 3,000 seats but the Wigan Metro safety inspectors only granted a licence for 9,800 prior to the Wigan game. During that particular game it was clear that more people could've been allowed in as the block closest to the tunnel in the Supporters Stand was virtually deserted and there were one or two gaps in the Wigan section of the segregated crowd.

Hilton Park, which is shared with Leigh RMI FC, is owned by RMI's parent company, Grundy Hill Estates, but could soon be consigned to history as plans for a new stadium are pressed forward (see elsewhere in this site).

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:

 

Leigh Centurions RLFC Poll

Do you feel Ricky Bibey is a good signing by Leigh?

See results > Submit >>